My Lost Decade

Reflections on Ten Years in Foster Care and my life since.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The Dreams


The bad stuff in foster care happened some time ago. It has been 7 years since I left my last "bad" placement & I left the first "bad" placement two years before that. So, why do I continue to dream about being stuck there two or three times per year.

In the dreams, I am as I am now. In spite of this, I am stuck in a bad foster home. It is not always clear if I am still there from before or there again. What is clear is that I've done nothing wrong, but am accused of it anyway. I cannot leave my room, even though I have my own real, adult obligations to fulfill. I'm depressed, angry & humiliated. I should not be here & know I deserve to be treated better, but don't know what to do about it.

Other than being an adult, the dream is a fairly accurate picture of how I felt in those placements. I was often accused of things I didn't do & treated like I was there to serve the needs of the adults in the house. In one placement it was the foster mom & in another it was the foster mom's adult daughter & her fiance, who lived with us but paid no rent & treated the foster kids like beggars.

Perhaps I am still angry about the injustices incurred in there. Anger is an intense emotion. Why don't I dream about the intense emotions I had in foster care that were good? Why don't I dream about when my foster sister was born, when I graduated from high school or when I was placed in TAG classes? Those intensely happy feelings had to be as strong as the anger. Is itbecause I was able to express that happiness & it got filed under "complete" in my subconscious mind?

There has never been an appropriate time to express all of my anger. At the time those things were happening, I could not talk about them. Once it was over, my new foster family didn't want to hear about it. By the time I found an outlet besides them, it seemed like it had been too long ago to talk about anymore.

The whole time I was in foster care, I was forced to go to therapy. I had some really lousy therapists & I was not ready to think about what had happened yet, so it did not help much. Now that I could finally use it, it is no longer being offered. Isn't that typical?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home