My Lost Decade

Reflections on Ten Years in Foster Care and my life since.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Familiar strangers

I was just writing not that long ago that my mom has five siblings and 17 nieces and nephews and never gets a visit from any of them. Sure enough, one of them has suddenly decided to come forward and make a liar out of me. I'm okay with that. My mom loves her family and enjoys visiting with all of them, even the dysfunctional ones.

I had a message when I got home last night that my mom's functional brother wants her to come visit his home for an early Thanksgiving this weekend. Because of mom's condition and inability to tell her family no, even when it is in her best interests to do so, the facility where she lives calls me whenever something like this comes up. I was happy because I knew Mom would be excited. The messed up brother will be there too, but after talking to the good uncle last night, I am confident that he will be kept in line.

I called Mom tonight to see if she wants to go and she is REALLY happy about it. She adores this brother who invited her and is looking forward to seeing the other members of the family who have been invited.

I was invited to come too, but am not sure how I feel about it. First off, I promised my time elsewhere and could not get there until evening. Secondly, my foster parents have been really good to me and they might feel a little bit unappreciated or hurt if I suddenly start spending time with my biological family, when none of them (except Mom) have bothered with me for most of my life. My foster family has been more like a family to me than my bio family has. They have been there for me through some really good times and some really rough times and there is no way anyone could compete with them for my love, but my foster mom gets really jealous sometimes and I worry about her feelings as a result. I think I might take some more time to think about it before I reach a decision and maybe talk to my foster mom once I have sorted through my own feelings on the subject a bit more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home