My Lost Decade

Reflections on Ten Years in Foster Care and my life since.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Good Memories from Placement One

When I was eight-years-old, I entered my first placement. The foster parents were an old couple. They had adopted girl who was a year younger than me. At the time, they also had a sixteen-year-old foster daughter in their home.

Since I have highlighted a lot of negative things, I decided it would be good to focus on some positives. I remember a lot of positive things about that first foster family. These are the highlights:

I had my own room for the first time ever. This was both awesome & scary.

If I had bad dreams, my foster mom would sit with me until I fell back asleep.

We had french toast a lot. I was allowed to use honey & syrup & peanut butter on my french toast.

We went to Canada for a camper rally. The foster parents brought along myself, their adopted daughter & three of their granddaughters.

They had two aquariums. I loved to watch the fish.

They had a big backyard. Because I was young it seemed ENORMOUS. I am sure it was just a bit bigger than average.

They had grand kids my age & they would come over to play a lot.

My foster sister had more Barbie dolls than anyone I had ever met. They were all named Christina. So was her fish.

We had a huge box full of dress up clothes & had more fun with those than anything else in the house.

We went to church every Sunday & got donuts during "Fellowship," which fell between Sunday school & church.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home