My Lost Decade

Reflections on Ten Years in Foster Care and my life since.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The right to do versus the right thing to do

I am of the opinion that just because you have the right to do something, that does not necessarily make it the right thing to do. This belief stems would apply to a lot of my experiences in foster care.

Examples:
I was in foster care for ten years. After about five of those years, the judge on the case terminated my mom' s parental rights. The judge had the jurisdiction and thus the right to do it, but it was not the right thing to do, given the situation.
I had the right, when I aged out, to turn my back on my foster family, never thank them for what they did and never speak to them again. It would not have been the right thing for anyone, but I had the legal right to do it.
One of my foster mothers got angry at me and put me in respite to punish me and put me in my place. She had the right to put me in respite, but in this case, it was not the right thing to do.

On the other side of this paradox is the fact that sometimes you do not have the right to do the thing which would be right. You may know what would be best and have every desire to do it, but because of the law, you may be prohibited from doing it.

Examples:
I lived in a foster family that was abusive. My social worker moved me when she learned that the foster parents were abusive. She knew that the best thing for the other children in that home would be to be moved elsewhere immediately, but she could not do this, by law. When the investigators assigned to the case found no evidence of abuse, she simply had to leave those other children there because she was not their worker and did not have the right to move them.
By the time I aged out of foster care, the statute of limitations had run out to sue the abusive foster parents or the state for what was endured in some of my placements. It would have been right to make abusers pay back the money they pocketed rather than caring for kids, but I had no right to do so.
It would have been right if my friend's parents, good Christian people who loved me, could have gotten their foster care license when they saw I was being mistreated in a foster family, but their bedrooms were too small, and so they had no right to pursue licensing.

I wish more people would stop and think about the difference between their rights and the right thing to do. They are not always one and the same.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, November 20, 2005 8:16:00 PM, Blogger David Michael said...

Jackie,

I enjoyed reading your posts. I was a foster child and spent a short time working for a foster care agency. I along with my brother and two sisters were adopted by our last foster family.

Foster care is so different than what most people think it is. Keep writing! Also, keep posting on other blogs.

Blessings!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home